Editing and proofreading jobs rank among the most popular categories when discussing work at home opportunities. Many companies are moving their operations online, and as a result, are finding physical editor and proofreader positions to be unnecessary. If you have experience in either of these areas and are tired of the commute and office politics, then you will benefit greatly from this blog post. Keep in mind that the majority of the companies below are going to hire you as a freelancer, so you won’t be offered benefits. This is common in the world of work at home employment and is something you should always consider before making the transition to remote work. The list below contains twelve of the most reputable companies to find a job as a Proofreader or Editor online. Most of these companies are always accepting applications so make sure to submit yours if you want to be considered.
- Editfast – Hires Editors, writers, and proofreaders as freelancers to perform work as it is available.
- ProofreadingPal – Hires proofreaders from anywhere in the U.S. Must have a graduate degree and a minimum of five years of professional proofreading and editing experience. Pay is $500 – $3,000 per month.
- Kibin – Hires freelance proofreaders and editors. Hiring occurs occasionally throughout the year so you’ll want to check back often to see if any new positions are available. The last reported pay was between $20 and $23 per hour.
- Proofreadingservices – Hires freelance proofreaders in any country. Pay and experience level is not stated, but you must pass a 20 minute assessment in order to be considered.
- Elite Editing – Hires freelance writers and editors. Pay on Glassdoor is estimated to be an average of $2,000 per month. You must pass the editor or writing test on their career page and should be familiar with the Chicago Manual of style.
- Gramlee – Hires freelance editors from all over the U.S. It does not state that professional experience is required so as long as you can pass their assessment, you may have an opportunity to join. Pay is not disclosed until you are accepted as an editor.
- Scribendi – Hires freelance editors and has a private forum for immediate assistance if you have a question or concern while editing. You must have a Bachelor’s degree and three years of experience in editing, writing or language teaching. Pay is reported on glassdoor as an average of $23 per hour.
- Wordvice – Hires Editors that have native fluency in English. Must be enrolled or have completed a graduate degree program. Requires at least two years professional editing experience. Pay is not listed but you should consider it to be competitive, based on the requirements.
- Wordy – Hires freelance editors based in the U.S, UK and Germany. They do not have any additional information listed on their website for this position yet, as they are revamping the platform and it should be updated in the first quarter of 2018.
- Enago – Hires freelance editors in certain subjects, mostly related to the subjects of science, medicine and economics. Must be proficient in the English language and have at least five years of academic copyediting/substantive editing/proofreading experience. A master’s degree or PHD is preferred.
- Hello Essay – Hires freelance editors and writers. Must be a native English speaker and a college graduate. The number of years of experience is not stated, but it does indicate that “significant” experience in writing or editing is required. Pay is not listed externally.
- English Trackers – Hires those interested in academic editing. Must be a native English speaker and have a minimum of two years professional academic editing experience. A bachelor’s degree is required; a PHD is preferred.
In addition to companies like those on this list, you can start your own freelance editing business with sites like Fiverr and Upwork. You will probably generate more profit on Fiverr, but you may benefit from a more extensive professional client base on Upwork. There’s many opportunities out there to get you started on your freelance editing or proofreading journey from the comfort of your own home. There are resources like the ACES Society of Editing and Skillshare that you can use to improve your sharpen your editing skills if you feel you need a refresher or just want to make yourself more attractive for that great editing job.
Are you a writer and looking for opportunities to earn money online? Click here for companies that hire entry level and experienced writers.
Lastly, don’t forget to check out my new jobs of the week for the latest work at home job leads hiring now!
Thanks for reading!